HAMPSHIRE BUILDINGS PRESERVATION TRUST LTD
Our trustee's at HBPT are working hard on a new informative website. Whilst this is being created, please take the time to read through our story so far and use the contact form if you have any questions for us. Thank you for your patience.
THE FULL STORY
Hampshire Buildings Preservation Trust (HBPT) came into existence in 1975, as part of Hampshire County Councils commitment to the Europeans Architectural Heritage Year, in the form of an arm’s length organisation under Hampshire County Council own governance process. This arrangement enabled HBPT to drawdown on the incredibly professional management resources available from within the Council. Especially, the legal, planning, and financial resources: in addition to the wide-ranging support from the Local Authority network across Hampshire.
Since that time HBPT has undertaken various procurement, restoration, and ultimately the preservation activities relating to Hampshire’s historic and architectural fabric developing a strong sense of place within the wider communities across Hampshire.
Organisationally, HBPT was designed to give all of Hampshire’s Local Authorities a voice within the Trust voice within the Trust representing their own built heritage. Additionally, the involvement of long-established heritage organisations such as Hampshire Field Club & Archaeological Society, Hampshire Industrial Archaeological Society, and numerous other local bodies like the Winchester, Romsey, Portsmouth, and Fareham Societies, were included.
In its early days, HBPT operated a “revolving door” capability, in which it took on a number of sites, enabling the opportunity to secure historic properties, for preservation, and securing their National Listing status. This capability provided the opportunity to sell elements of a site, and recover the expenditure used for the preservation work. Overtime, this important capability enabled HBPT to secure three sites where it retained ownership. However, all three sites were leased for operational purposes to independent Charities who are accredited museums. This approach has been successful and ensured the continued public use and enjoyment.
Today, (2022) HBPT has reach a transformational phase in its history, with a new generation of Trustees’ being established to continue, what has been almost 50 years of devoted commitment and oversight, by both past and present Trustees and Volunteers; all of whom have committed a large proportion of their time and energy to saving Hampshire’s magnificent built heritage.
As we look ahead, the future looks bright, and the Trustees remain determined to continue supporting and when necessary securing Hampshire outstanding built heritage for the benefit of future generations, both educationally and for enjoyment.
Bursledon Windmill (1813-14) located on Providence Hill, includes machinery dating to 1769 and remains operational. HBPT took over the site for restoration back in the late 1970’s.
(1896-7) a ten-acre site located off Swanwick Lane, Fareham which remained operational until 1974, following which HBPT took ownership in the early 1990’s. The site includes a stunning Staffordshire Kiln.
(1815) located within the village on the River Test and still operational today, providing the opportunity to train a new generation of Weavers. It come into the ownership of HBPT in 1985.